Ettlinger Family

P316 Sheep on the Gillette Rd.Farm    P317 Augustus Heal on the Gillette Rd.Farm    P318  &  P319 House and barns on the Gillette Rd.Farm    P320 James Heal Civil War card.    P459 Ettlinger Stone Wall Rebuilt    P652 Ettlinger Family ca. 1930    HP1022     HP1023  Albert Heal      HP1024 Fred Ettlinger Jr.   HP1025    P1028 A 1947 photo


The following is a brief history of the first 100 years of the Ettlinger property on Gillette Road. In 1820 my great-great-great grandfather, James Heal (1797-1876) bought a 100-acre lot from one Wade Sweetland for $550 "in hand". Adjacent lots were later bought, some of which remain part of the property today.

I am not sure of James' origins. My grandfather used to say he was one of three brothers who anglicized their name after arriving from Germany. In the 1820 deed he is first described as "James Heel of Lincolnville, yeoman"; below his signature his name is spelled "Heal".

In 1824 James married Ellza Barrett (1801-1886) of Hope. They would have nine sons and two daughters. Six sons moved to Staten Island, New York, where there may have been relatives. Neither daughter married; the elder, Louisa (1928-1860) died at home, and Irene, aka Lizzie, (1831-1925) stayed with her parents and later her brother, James Augustus (1832-1918) who took over and inherited the farm. In their later years their aunt, Caroline Barrett would live with them.

According to accounts and notes left by my great-grandmother the Heals did what might be best described as subsistence farming. Her father, Peter, once described his boyhood as one of working from "dawn to dusk, seven days a week". They kept a team of oxen, a horse, a few cows, chicken, pigs and sheep. The clearing, stoning, and plowing of the fields, along with the hauling of timber was done with the oxen. To get what they could not produce themselves they sold wool and traded chicken, eggs, milk and butter in Camden.

In September, 1864 James Augustus joined the 9th Maine Volunteers. My grandfather said he was wounded; after his discharge in June, 1865 he received a pension of $50 per month. After the war he took over the farm from his father.

After a chimney fire burned down the first house, another was built on the same site In 1848. The barn which remains was built in 1851. In 1916 another chimney fire destroyed the second house. Two years later the house which stands today was built over the same cellar hole. After James Augustus' death in 1918 his sister Lizzie sold the farm to Lillie Heal Ettlinger, my great-grandmother.

Peter Ettlinger June 2007