In 1956 the RFD Club, a group of young women of the town planned Old Settlers Day to honor the older residents of the town. Other organizations joined in to make this a memorable day.
On Saturday, July 28, 1956 the parade from Hope Corner to the Pond was scheduled for 10:00, followed by an historical talk at 10:30, a pumping demonstration by the Hope Volunteer Firemen, and picnic lunch.
In the afternoon there was an historical exhibit at the Hope Corner School; the Grange Fair at the Grange Hall with both Granges participating; horseshoe tournament; baby carriage and tricycle parade; baby show; races;baseball game - Hope vs. Camden; and a cake contest.
In the evening there was a public supper at the Grange Hall, a band concert by the Camden Band, and a dance sponsored by the Hope Fire Department. On Sunday a Church Service in the Universalist Church was open to all. Other old buildings open for visitation were the Barrett Homestead and the old Capt. Noyes Payson Homestead, owned by Arthur and Jeanne Jones.
A memorable part of the parade was the old tally-ho stagecoach, borrowed from Duane Doolittle's collection and driven by Orrie Buck. Other passengers were Lizzie Harwood, Florence Allen, Addie and John Marriner, Olive Noyes and Everett Hobbs.
This occasion was the forerunner of Fireman's Frolics held yearly for almost twenty-five years, that were the main financial support for the Hope Voluntary Firemen's Organization. A "chronicle" or unofficial 1956 census of everyone living in town at the time was printed and sold by the RFD group.
Since then similar census booklets have been printed in 1970 and 1980, with one for 1990 being assembled at the present time.
(From History of Hope Maine by Anna Simpson Hardy Page 235 & 237)