This camp was owned and operated by Mrs. Eduarda Boehm and Miss Anne Townsend of Baltimore and Philadelphia, who had been among the early campers at Beaver Camp, and by Miss Mae Fogg of Boston and Freeport. July 6, 1938 was Open House at Camp Merestead, and a large number took advantage of the opportunity to inspect the attractive buildings which had just been completed.
(The most famous and probably best (field hockey) player ever turned out on an American field was Anne Townsend, from Philadelphia. Miss Townsend captained and was the ranking member on the All-America Team from 1923 through 1936, with one year out in 1933 when Frances Elliott displaced her. The amazing thing about her was that she made All-America in four different positions. Now in her fifties, "Towser" (field hockey people seem to have a facility for nicknames) is coach and co-owner of Camp Merestead in Camden, Maine, one of two field-hockey camps in the country. http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1128485/2/index.htm)
(May P. Fogg, director of physical education at the Winsor School of Boston for 35 years until her retirement in 1970, died Saturday at her home in Falmouth, Maine. She was 92 and a former resident of Brookline. A native of Freeport, Maine, Miss Fogg graduated from Freeport High School and Sargent College at Boston University. In 1938 she became a founding co-director of Camp Merestead, a girls summer camp in Camden, Maine. http://www.bookrags.com/highbeam/may-p-fogg-92-worked-at-winsor-hb/)
Camp Merestead made it through the war years and for a number of years a very successful women's hockey camp was run after the close of the regular camp season in August. For those two-week sessions coaches and players came from all over the U.S. and even from England. Some were former Merestead campers. With the illness and death of the camp's business manager, Mrs. Eduarda Boehm, the camp was closed and the land donated to the Episcopal Diocese of Maine and renamed Bishopwood.
From the Bishopwood website:
Camp Bishopswood has been owned and operated
as an arm of the Episcopal Diocese of Maine since the early 1960s.
Located on the shores of Lake Megunticook near Camden, Maine, Bishopswood
is a beautiful, picture perfect slice of Gods creation for a childrens
First built in the mid 30s as Camp Merestead, the facility was a private camp for girls with an emphasis on girls athletics, water sports, and the performing arts. Much of the main campus remains as it was in the Merestead days, though there have also been many changes. In the 30s, Merestead boasted the first regulation field hockey field in the state of Maine. Today, that field is simply known as the sports field or big field and is enjoyed daily by our campers.
The Merestead facility was purchased by the Episcopal Camp Foundation and began operation as Bishopswood, a traditional church camp. For a number of years there were separate sessions for girls and boys. For the last 30 years or so, Bishopswood has been co-ed, serving boys and girls ranging from having just completed the first grade through the tenth grade. Since the summer of 1979 Bishopswood has been directed by Georgia Koch.