Barbara Carver Building - Hope Village

(John and Ruth Pearse collection)

Abner Dunton's shoe shop, a two story building, stands a small distance from the home. Downstairs was the shoe shop and upstairs a room where the Hope musicians could practice to their heart's content! It is one of the few buildings of early Hope that looks much as it did in those early days. The home and nearby shoe shop now belong to James and Barbara Carver. Abner married Susannah Harwood of Hope in 1832 and they had five children, three of whom predeceased him. (From History of Hope Maine by Anna Simpson Hardy Page 83)

next return