Shown in the early 1900's with Hatchet Mountain in the background. The former factory became the Hardy blueberry receiving station, owned by William Hardy and his wife Anna. They also sold Christmas trees. The house at the right is the old Payson homestead.
The following is copied from History of Hope Maine by Anna Simpson Hardy, Page 66:
In 1822 John Athearn, who had been farming on his High St. farm nl the Lincolnville line, bought a small piece of land from Abner Dunton, beside Asa Payson's shoe shop, being the remaining corner at the intersection, of the Camden-MCLain's Mills and the Lincolnville-Union roads. On he built a general store which he and his family ran successfully into 1860's. This building many years later was the core of the large factory which occupied that lot for many years.
At the L. P. True Canning Factory corn was first canned in 1882 as an extra short season. Activity grew as time when on. Apples were next canned, soon followed by blueberries, tomatoes and squash. Finally in the 1920s when the business was at its peak a long list of products, most grown locally, bore the L. P. True "Knox Pioneer" label. The products included the apples, blueberries, tomatoes and squash mentioned above, plus pumpkins, green beans, shell beans, beets, baked beans, and even brown bread. Custom canning, especially blueberries, squash and sweet corn, was done under other brand labels as well. The original building became larger and larger as the business grew, until it covered almost half an acre. The depression years took its toll on this business as it did everywhere, and L. P. True ceased operations in the late 1930s after fifty years in business.
In 1958 William Hardy purchased the old canning factory from the True family, for use as a blueberry receiving station. For more than twenty five years, tons and tons of blueberries were bought and shipped to freezing and canning plants in Massachusetts and Maine. Upon retirement from his blueberry production activities in Wells in York County, as well as in Knox County, he made the decision to tear down the main part of the old factory building, which had become worn with age and beyond repair. 238.1
Click here for a history of the canning factory by By Karen Blanchard.